Thursday, April 19, 2012

An adventure at the doctor and a conversation with Addelyn

Addelyn had her 12-month checkup (yay!  my big 1-year old! A blog on the birthday will come soon).  Everything went excellently until it came time for Addelyn to get her shots.  She got three this time and, as always, she was NOT happy with them!  As Addelyn always does when she's very upset (like many babies) the initial cry was all in one big exhale.  Usually that exhale would be followed by a big breath and then some very loud screaming.  This time the breath in didn't happen...and didn't happen...and didn't happen.  The nurse and I kind-of laughed it off for the first 5-10 seconds, but then she kept NOT breathing.  I started to get really scared, and then her eyes rolled back into her head and she started to fall over in my arms and then I really started to panic.  My mommy instincts kicked in and I was rubbing her hard on the back and yelling her name and jostling her around a bit to get her to breathe.  Thankfully, the nurse remembered her training and after I sat a partially-limp Addelyn down on the table to get in front of her, the nurse blew in her face.  Looking back, I knew that blowing in a child's face will cause them to take an instinctual breath in, but I didn't think to apply that knowledge to that situation.  As soon as the nurse blew in Addelyn's face she took a deep breath in, came-to, and started crying normally.  This all took place in the span of about 15 seconds, but it felt like forever!  Addelyn did just fine after that and is no worse for wear, and now I know what to do should that ever happen again!

On a lighter note, here's a fun conversation I just had with Addelyn over dinner:
Me:  "Yay!  look, you just ate your vegetables all gone!  What a good girl!"
Addelyn:  smiles and signs all gone
Me:  "Do you want some more?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no
Me:  "Do you want some more squash?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no
Me:  "Do you want some water?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no
Me:  "Do you want some puffs?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no  (now I'm starting to think she's just saying no because she likes to tell me no...)
Me:  "Do you want some peaches?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no
Me:  "Do you want up?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no
Me:  "Are you all done?"
Addelyn:  shakes her head no
Me:  "Do you want a cookie"
Addelyn:  smiles, nods her head yes and signs cookie.

Oh my...such a sweet tooth already.  (Though...they are cookies specially for babies, sweetened by fruit, so I don't feel too bad giving her one per day)

Stats - I'll do stats for the first birthday post :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment