Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Saddest Sound in the World

Addelyn sometimes crys in her sleep and it sounds so much sadder than any of her other crys (angry, hungry, scared, tired, bored, hurt etc...) and it breaks my heart.   How can a 5-month-old have such sad dreams when she doesn't even know what it means to be sad?  I suppose it's the flipside of when she has funny dreams and laughs in her sleep.  She started giggling in her sleep at 2 weeks old before she could even consciously smile.  I wonder if there have been any infant sleep-studies that show that the neurons in the emotional centers of infants' brains can activate during sleep before the baby is emotionally mature enough for them to activate when awake...

No picture or video for this subject - I've tried so hard to get the sleep-giggling on video because it's just so adorable, but it's so unpredictable and quick.  The crying can last a little longer, but I don't have the heart to watch her cry like that long enough to record it.  I just have to pick her up and comfort her when she crys in her sleep - even if she doesn't wake up for it, she still calms down once I pick her up and talk or sing to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment